Welcome to my Backyard~The Land of Enchantment New Mexico!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Assignment: A Visual History of My Town

Welcome to my blog Backyard New Mexico! The first tour will be of Alamogordo New Mexico which is an incredible community that rests in the southern part of New Mexico.  I stumbled across Alamogordo as a result of looking for land to buy in Roswell.  I did not find exactly what I wanted in Roswell and decided to travel back to Nevada on a whim taking the southern route that took me through Alamogordo.  By the time I drove to the local grocery store, Lowe's I knew I wanted to spend a few days here and get to know this town. Within a day I decided that I wanted to live here and called my husband and my journey to this blog had begun.a

When I began this photo journal of my town I began with the sincere plans of capturing what locals would view as hometown.  We all know that the local will tell you the best place to eat, where to shop and what to visit.  So I ventured out not ignoring our Walmart, Kmart and chain fast food restaurants instead shining a light on what one misses when one goes for what is known. It is quite safe to creep out into the unknown and try out what our community has in store for you. It is refreshing to travel and rest and realize that my hometown is like what you left. We have the restaurants where everybody does know your name, we have the honor system in place at our local national park, and we have a history that is begging to be heard and carried on to another generation.

So as you visit this blog, you will encounter photo posts that have little information except an address and other times you may enjoy a spotlight of an interesting person, fact or nugget from my backyard. Please feel free to leave comments as to where you are from and if you have visited any of my backyard!

Welcome to my backyard and you all come back, Ok?
Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Well---this was a surprise! I didn't know about this blog till today -- and now it's October 2022 and I wonder if you're still posting. Would love to see more & current things about this wonderful place to live that the good Lord has provided for us!

    I checked out your "Churches" page and saw that one of the prettiest churches in town was missing. Have you seen Westminster Church at the corner of 15th & College (actually, it's between College & Arizona on 15th)? It's one of Alamogordo's best kept secrets -- just like your blog!

    I'll be watching to see what new things you have to offer. Looks like you're off to a great start!
    Bobbie
    " And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." - Phil 4:19 NIV

    ReplyDelete